Since 2007, we have been providing outdoor ice skating in the beautiful Methow Valley to locals and visitors alike. With the continued support of our community, we recently led the effort to create guaranteed ice throughout the winter with a new refrigeration system.
Building community through the joy of outdoor skating.
Winthrop Rink (formerly Winthrop Ice & Sports Rink) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that manages the facility and grounds owned by the Town of Winthrop. The facility and ground consist of: newly installed refrigerated, NHL-sized ice rink equipped with boards and glass, and a 6,000 square foot building with four changing rooms, 2 showers, bathrooms, rental skates and second-story warming and viewing room with ping pong tables. In the winter months, the rink is used for ice-related activities such as skating, hockey and figure skating. The board envisions that after the upgrades required for refrigeration, it may also be used for broomball, curling, roller-skating, roller hockey, roller derby and other similar activities.
- Mid 1990's - Volunteers worked with Town of Winthrop to operate a seasonal rink at the Winthrop Barn and to convert an out-building for Zamboni storage.
- 2003 - After many attempts at receiving grant funds, we are finally successful in landing the first $375,000 matching funds IAC/RCO grant
- 2003 - Land is acquired for rink just south of Winthrop
- 2007 - Marc Robertson leads group of volunteers to partner with Town of Winthrop and build the official Winthrop Ice & Sports Rink (WISR) facility. After countless hours of donated labor, donated materials, community elbow grease and $801,000, the Rink emerged: a non refrigerated, uncovered, NHL regulation outdoor rink.
- 2015 - WISR board leads $994,000 capital campaign to provide refrigeration at the rink and extend its season to the shoulder seasons (November-March).
- 2016 - On November 18, 2016, Winthrop Rink opened for the first time with refrigeration and held a grand opening celebration on December 1, 2016.